Some helpful tips to conserve water:
- Do not water lawns daily.
- Lawns typically only need about 1 inch of water per week. (This encourages the growth of deeper roots).
- Do not overwater.
- Do not allow water to run off into the street.
- Change timers on sprinklers to water after midnight.
- Check your swimming pool to make sure it is not overfilling.
- Check for and repair detectible water leaks as soon as possible.
- Keep showers under 5 minutes.
- Turn water off while brushing teeth.
- Wash only full loads of dishes or clothing.
- Replace older-model showerheads and faucets.
- Limit washing vehicles.
Find water saving tips (PDF)
Your cooperation will help to ensure that water supplies are maintained at maximum levels and prevent the need to impose more restrictive measures to conserve water.
Some Helpful Links
Conservation Research: Research and reports conducted by the Texas Water Development Board
Conservation Education Resources: Educational resources collected by the Texas Water Development Board
Drought in Texas: Information of drought conditions in Texas from the Texas Water Development Board
Water Conservation: Information on water conservation from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Drought Communication Toolkit: Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Center for Environmental Health and the National Public Health Information Coalition