FMA Grant Program
The City of Bellaire is collecting preliminary information from residents that may qualify for the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program through August 31, 2019.
Under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the FMA grant provides federal funding to assist states and communities to fund cost-effective measures to reduce or eliminate the long-term risk of flood damage to buildings, manufactured homes, and other structures insurable under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
The City will be using grant funds to elevate structures that are not currently meeting the City's minimum standards of 1 foot above base flood elevation (BFE). Home elevation means that your existing house will be lifted so that the lowest floor is at least one foot above the expected flood elevation and a new foundation will be built to support your home.
The grant will only cover 75% of the costs and the homeowner would be responsible for the other 25% of the costs. The costs could be $30,000 or more, plus relocation expenses.
Please keep in mind there is no guarantee that the City will receive any funds for this program. However, City Officials are determined to ensure that they seek all opportunities available.
If you have already elevated your home, you will not be eligible for the grant. Only homeowners who have flood insurance from FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) are eligible. The flood insurance must be effective at the time of the grant application and be maintained throughout the process. An elevation certificate is not required to submit a pre-application but will be required by the time the City submits its application.
If you have submitted your information and your property meets FEMA requirements, your address will be submitted as part of the application process.
For more information about the FMA grant, please visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/flood/grant/FMA.asp. You may also contact the Development Services Administrative Secretary, Marleny Campos, at 713-662-8241 or email@example.com.
All of those who have submitted a pre-application have been contacted via e-mail regarding eligibility for this grant program. The City will continue to review in October the remaining possible qualifying candidates and will send an update on next steps.