Everyday hundreds of Texans suffer the shock, anger, and frustration that characterize vehicle-related crimes. As you head out this year to the recreation spots in the city and elsewhere, remember that criminals maybe in those areas too. The Bellaire Police Department would like to remind residents of the ways to help prevent car burglaries.
Tips to Protect Your Vehicle:
• Hide your valuables. Items in the open make your car a target. Remove your GPS units, cell phones, purses, and radar detectors.
• Take your keys and never leave a second set in your vehicle. Twenty percent of stolen vehicles had keys inside them, making the theft even easier. Do not leave your vehicle running or unlocked to run into a daycare, grocery store, etc.
• Lock your car. A large percentage of vehicles stolen or burglarized were left unlocked.
• Park in well-lit or heavily-trafficked areas. Thieves do not like witnesses. Find an attended lot or garage if possible. At night, park your vehicles in your garage if at all possible, or driveway, do not park in the street.
• Give parking attendants the ignition key only. Keep your trunk and glove box locked at all times. If possible, get separate keys for the ignition and the trunk and glove box
• Never leave your car running unattended. Cars are often stolen or burglarized at convenience stores, gas stations or when an owner leaves the vehicle running to warm it up.
• Install an anti-theft device. Many insurance companies may give you a discount for certain anti-theft devices. Check with your agent for details.
The Bellaire Police Department would like to remind residents to call 713/668-0487 to report any suspicious activity.