- City of Bellaire
- Our Government
- City Attorney
The City Attorney advises council and management on legal matters, represents the city in any judicial proceeding, and prepares all ordinances and other legal documents.
Mr. Petrov, a partner in the law firm of Johnson Petrov LLP, has served as the City of Bellaire Attorney since 1995. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Petrov was the Assistant Director of the Texas Water Commission's legal division, now known as the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. In that capacity, he served as the lead attorney for the State in numerous regulatory proceedings involving municipal water rates and wholesale rate contracts. Petrov also served as the Senior Attorney for the Commission in charge of Water Districts and Utilities.
Today, he represents a number of water districts as their General Counsel and Bond Counsel. He also represents the municipalities of Bellaire, Texas and Hedwig Village, Texas as City Attorney and Bond Counsel for those communities.
In addition, he has been appointed by the Mayors of Bellaire, West University Place, Southside Place and Jacinto City to represent those communities on the Board of Directors of Harris-Galveston Coastal Subsidence Districts.
Mr. Petrov is also a frequent speaker on a variety of topics relevant to municipalities and water districts. Some of his papers and conference presentations have included:
- “Ins and Outs of Rate Orders,” AWBD, February, 1995
- “Update of the Texas Public Funds Investment Act”, Texas Society of CPA’s CPE Foundation Conference, December 1997
- “Closing Public Streets”, Texas City Attorney’s Annual Conference, June 1995
- “An Overview of the National Environmental Policy Act”, Executive Enterprises’ Environmental Regulation Course, May 1994
To contact the City Attorney please call the City Clerk at 713-662-8275.
- Association of Water Board Directors
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Texas City Attorney Association
- Houston Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1983
- University of Texas at Austin, J.D., 1986